FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions
1. I’m both nervous and excited about starting University.. What is Orientation Week? Will I make friends?
It’s okay to be nervous about starting university! Just remember that every first year is in the same boat as you. University of Toronto Mississauga is a great choice because it hubs such a diverse group of both domestic and international students.
UTMSU’s Orientation Week is a week of both social and academic programming that will help you transition into the university life, as well as make new friends along the way!
2. What will happen during the Academic Department and Society’s workshop at UTMSU’s Orientation Week?
Students have the opportunity to sit into workshops conducted by their respective academic department and student societies, which is dependant on what program of study they are pursuing in September. This is a great opportunity to meet people in the same program as you, meet professors, network, and learn more about your these groups can offer you and how to get involved with them!
3. I’m a student coming to UTM but I’m 25+. Can I still participate in UTMSU’s Orientation Week?
Of course you can! We welcome all incoming students to participate in our Orientation Week! You can either register for UTMSU’s Orientation Week, or take a look at our Mature Student’s Orientation programming, which is outlined on our website under the “Mature Student’s” tab at: www.utmorientation.ca. Register now!
4. How will I get to all the Off-Campus events during UTMSU’s Orientation Week?
All transportation during UTMSU Orientation Week are included in the Orientation Week ticket price.
We will be transporting all first year students by bus to ALL of the off-campus events, and take you folks back to campus at the end of the events!
5. I have allergies/ particular dietary needs that need to be accommodated for. What do I do? Is food included in the Orientation ticket price?
Worry not! While registering for Orientation, there is an option on the registration page to let us know your dietary needs/restrictions. As long as you give us this information, we will have the right food options available for you everyday during Orientation.
And yes! All food is covered in the Orientation ticket price.
6. I don’t like to party… is it worth coming to UTM Orientation?
Totally! UTM Orientation Week is not only about going to different places and partying, but a mixture of diverse events catered to your personal preferences. There will be competitive outdoor events, a pep rally, carnival, and useful workshops during the week!
7. I’m new to Canada and I don’t know anyone at UTM. Is UTMSU Orientation Week for me?
Our UTMSU Orientation Week is incredibly diverse. You will meet people from all over the world and most people coming into university don’t know anyone. Just remember that everyone is new and this is a great event to meet new people and have some fun before school starts!
8. I won’t be able to buy an Orientation Ticket because of financial issues.. Is there anyway I can still participate in Orientation Week?
We offer Orientation Week bursaries for those who need financial assistance. Apply for a bursary. The information you need to apply is under the “Good to Know” tab on our website: www.utmorientation.ca Check it out!